Back in December 2017, Dumfries and Galloway council made available £240,000 to fund projects developed by community groups and local people. This was a chance to apply for area based grants or grants of up to £20,000 for projects that would make a real difference by standing up to poverty in their communities.
While applications closed on 21st December 2017, the voting events are still to take place. Through a participatory budgeting approach Dumfries and Galloway council are giving local people the chance to vote on which projects they want to see funded and make a difference to local people’s lives.
There are four voting events which will look to address the causes and effects of poverty, in particular:
- signposting to support and advice for those suffering from poverty
- reduce barriers to communication and information sharing for those who need support
- create sustainable support and information sharing methods and mechanisms
- bridge geographic gaps in the provision of support to those in poverty
PB events and locations
Saturday March 3rd 11am to 3pm: Dalbeattie Learning Campus, Haugh Road, Dalbeattie
Saturday March 10th 11am to 3pm: Wigtown County Buildings, Newton Stewart
Saturday March 17th 11am to 3pm: Richard Greenhow Centre, Central Avenue, Gretna
Saturday March 24th 11am to 3pm: The Usual Place, Academy Street, Dumfries
Further actions to tackle poverty
While Participatory budgeting is part of a wider strategy, Dumfries and Galloway council are working closely with partners, their communities and people facing the challenge of poverty to make sure they get the most effective approaches in place.
The council budget includes funding to help tackle poverty. They've agreed an Anti-Poverty Strategy and have already taken forward a number of simple actions:
- Co-ordinating information and support for people facing poverty
- Raising awareness of poverty with staff in schools
- Gaining accreditation as a Living Wage employer
- Encouraging our suppliers to adopt the Living Wage
Find out more about the strategy and actions to be taken here.