Making a positive difference to people’s lives
North Ayrshire have now completed their PB pilot. The remaining four Decision Days’ ‘Your Money You Decide’ events took place from the 25th September to the 6th November 2016 and were delivered in a range of community venues throughout the area. The ‘Dragons Den’ format where presenters delivered a 3 minute pitch of their idea to the local community proved popular.
The events were well supported, attracting in excess of 550 local people and community groups who took part in deciding how the £72,000 grant funding would be allocated. A total of 140 groups presented of which 103 received funding.
The diversity of presenting project ideas and age ranges at each event was encouraging. Age proved not to be a barrier with our oldest presenter a sprightly 92 year old making a bid for funding to keep herself and others healthy commenting: “the help we have been given to continue our exercise classes, has meant that I don’t need surgery on my heart for a further four and a half years, the Doctor tells me that the exercise has been good for me”.
The range of project ideas were exceptional. These included start-up self- help ,single issue groups, cookery/skills development, interest/social groups, sports groups, mountain rescue, gardening, babies /children ,music/drama, social/oral history projects, uniformed organisations, PTA’sand youth groups.
The events had a community feel and generated a lot of energy “Feeling and sense of community, mixing with different groups with completely different back grounds”. The opportunity to meet and network with other groups proved to be beneficial. “Seeing and meeting all the community groups that I didn’t even know existed”
From the 364 completed evaluation here are just a few of the comments about the process from those who took part:
- “Gives people a voice and promotes their organisation and work”
- “The fact that everyone got involved”
- “Hearing about the innovation of others””
- ”Learning about groups and opportunities in my area”
- “The variety of the groups gave me a good insight to what’s going on in the area.”
- “Hearing about all the various groups and how they all benefit the different aspects of children’s wellbeing, and adults, and cater for children and adults from various backgrounds.
- “Hearing about all the different community groups and people passionate to make this town a better place to live”
- “Meeting a variety of likeminded people and being able to network”
- “PB shows no barriers in any area which seeks funding from the assortment of clubs represented”
- “Real sense of community spirit”
- “Hearing about all the local groups willing to make a difference”
- “Hearing about organisations and having a say on what ones get the money”
- “Fantastic way of letting people be involved in the financial process of where the money goes”
Funding was secured from North Ayrshire Council, Scottish Government, Big Lottery and The Ayrshire Community Trust (TACT).
Going forward we have been successful in securing Community Choices funding for 2 further‘thematic events’ – one with Community Councils and one led by the Health and Social Care Partnership, which will focus on mental health and well-being, more info to follow in 2017.
For more information please contact Pam Crosthwaite – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, Mary Scott – email@example.com